While this time of year sees a lot of celebration of startups, another set of events puts the focus on businesses that may not be as new or as fast-growing but make up the backbone of Edmonton's economy.
Small Business Week is an annual celebration of entrepreneurship created by the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) in 1979. It applauds the country's 1.2 million small and medium-sized businesses with events running from Oct. 16 to 22.
The chamber will host the newly sworn-in Danielle Smith speak at the Premier's Address Luncheon on Oct. 20 at the Edmonton Convention Centre.
Teresa Spinelli of the Italian Centre Shop will discuss her business's contributions to the community over the past 60 years at an event called Meet the Maker on Oct. 19. Other Edmonton events include a trade show and mixer at the Prince of Wales Armouries on Oct. 17 and a panel on why tourism matters at the Art Gallery of Alberta on Oct. 18.
Business Link hosts the Alberta Business Bash on Oct. 20, featuring Paige Maenhout of Little Lungs First Aid, Rob Clarke of Foosh and The Common, Esta Baker of Esta Bee, and Sawsen Abdellawi of ABD Naturals.
Small Business Week is also a big deal for the municipalities in the metropolitan region. Here are some of the events to watch for:
- Oct. 18, 8am: Strathcona County's 2022 Small Business Week Conference in Sherwood Park
- Oct. 19, 7:30am: Business@Breakfast with the St. Albert and District Chamber of Commerce
- Oct. 20, 12pm: 2022 October Luncheon: Celebrating Small Business Week with the Leduc, Nisku & Wetaskiwin Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Oct. 20, 5pm: Chamber on Tap with Meg Polson from the Greater Parkland Regional Chamber
- Oct. 20, 6pm: Business Excellence Awards of Distinction with the St. Albert and District Chamber of Commerce
- Oct. 21, 5pm: 38th Annual Business Awards Gala with the Fort Saskatchewan and Lamont Regional Chamber of Commerce
Photo: Teresa Spinelli, seen here at the grand opening of the Italian Centre Shop's Sherwood Park location, will speak at a Small Business Week event on Oct. 19. (Facebook)