Taproot Edmonton is a source of curiosity-driven original stories, curated newsletters on various topics, and locally focused podcasts, all in the service of informing Edmontonians about what is going on in their community.
Taproot invites applications from engaged, Edmonton-based freelancers to help us help our community understand itself better.
Join the pool of journalists we can rely on to explain what's going on in the city, in the form of stories and features for our website and in our daily newsletter, The Pulse. We're also interested in coverage that can bolster the beats we cover in our weekly roundups on tech, food, the region, health innovation, the arts, and business.
Here's what we're looking for:
- Curiosity, creativity, initiative, and solid news judgment;
- Ability to determine what's new, relevant, interesting about a topic;
- Experience in lining up and conducting interviews, and gathering information from sources;
- Ability to write on deadline, with a firm grasp of story structure and editing processes;
- Solid, general knowledge of Edmonton and Alberta.
You'll collaborate with our team via Slack, with opportunities both to pitch and to be assigned stories. We currently pay $250 to $750 per written piece; we're also open to pitches for storytelling in other forms.
Taproot Edmonton wants its writers to reflect the full diversity of our city, and we are eager to hear from freelancers with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
Interested? Get in touch.