Here are some opportunities to offer your input on civic initiatives, including deciding the winner of an urban design award and advising on the Hairsine renewal project in northeast Edmonton.
- Edmonton Urban Design Awards: People's Choice Awards — The City of Edmonton is running its annual Urban Design Awards, which recognize individuals, organizations, firms, or projects that contribute to urban design and quality of life. The first round of voting for the People's Choice Award closed on Oct. 6. The public can participate in the final round of voting by selecting their favourite from among nine finalists and completing a short submission form by midnight on Oct. 13.
- Hairsine Neighbourhood and Alley Renewal (advise) — The City of Edmonton has prepared a final design for the Hairsine renewal project and entered its advise-level engagement phase. Construction is expected to begin in 2024. Residents can complete a survey to suggest minor refinements and ensure the design reflects the project's vision and guiding principles until Oct. 31.
- Home Fire Safety Assessment — Edmonton Fire Rescue Services is conducting a city-wide assessment of home fire safety to inform fire prevention strategies and programs. Residents over 18 can complete the assessment and enter a draw for prizes by Oct. 31.
More input opportunities
- By Oct. 12: Museum & Archives Feasibility Study in Strathcona County
- By Oct. 17: Parkdale Street Lab (exploration) in Edmonton
- Oct. 25, Oct. 26, Nov. 7, and Nov. 16: District Planning Public Engagement Sessions in Edmonton
- By Oct. 31: Transit Master Plan in Strathcona County
- By Nov. 5: Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw Renewal: Phase 1 of Public Engagement in Edmonton
- By Dec. 31: Public Washroom Survey in Edmonton
- By Dec. 31: Public Engagement Feedback Survey in Edmonton
Photo: The "Confetti" art in Michael Phair Park is a finalist for the People's Choice Award at the Edmonton Urban Design Awards. Other finalists are The Mercury Block, University Commons, the Touch the Water Promenade design plan, kihcihkaw askî, the Plátanos sculptures in Belvedere LRT station, the Strathcona Back Street pilot project, the Roxy Theatre, and a proposal to reimagine the Heritage Valley LRT station. (City of Edmonton/People's Choice Awards Finalists)