"With perennial favourite Startup TNT Jeopardy kicking things off, the pitches start at 5pm. We'll be hosting a VC pitch night as part of the summit this spring as well as inviting some musical guests. We want it to be an awesome experience for the investors, the entrepreneurs, and the audience," said Zack Storms, founder and chief organizer of Startup TNT.
"But most importantly, we'll be helping local investors invest in local startups."
There will be $150,000 or more up for grabs for one Edmonton and one Calgary company at the summit. Here's a look at who is pitching from Edmonton, courtesy of Startup TNT:
- AlignVR enables HR departments to make hiring decisions by generating genuine behaviours among job applicants.
- Birdie Break provides access to agency-quality childcare professionals through an app.
- Goal Zero helps small and mid-size enterprises outsource their health, safety, and environment management system.
- HonestDoor is creating a comprehensive source of commercial and residential real estate information in Canada.
- QuoteToMe has digitized the purchasing workflow for the construction industry and uses a B2B marketplace to connect buyers and sellers efficiently.
This summit will be virtual again, like the one last fall. (Courtesy of Startup TNT)
According to Storms, "investor conversations have been as intense as ever" this spring.
"Our investment teams are becoming more sophisticated, they are conducting deeper and better due diligence. They are taking on more and more leadership roles in the investment process. They are helping some of these companies close their rounds quicker than they would have otherwise," he said, adding that there are also mentorship circles being planned for some of the teams that didn't make the top five from each city.
"They are redefining what it means to be an angel investor in Alberta."
Startup TNT has run five summits in the past 18 months, with two or three companies raising money at each one. Alberta's investment summit is running twice a year, every spring and fall.