Headlines

· The Pulse
By Kevin Holowack and Mack Male
Comments

  • Infill homes in Edmonton's core and mature neighbourhoods make up 25% of new housing built since 2010, achieving the goal identified in The Way We Grow, the city's previous municipal development plan. "We enabled a really wide range of housing options in our mature neighbourhoods — things like duplexes, row housing, garden suites, basement suites — that other cities are just starting to talk about now," Coun. Ashley Salvador told CBC News, which has contributed to Edmonton's growing reputation for infill development. "Edmonton is the one to watch," said Mariah Samji, executive director of the Infill Development in Edmonton Association (IDEA).
  • The Edmonton International Airport (EIA) has announced several agreements and initiatives that position it as "a significant driver of demand for hydrogen fuel" and "a new home for piloting emerging hydrogen technologies."
  • Explore Edmonton has published its 2021 Annual Report and explained in a LinkedIn post that last year it was "able to begin transitioning our marketing and advocacy effort from basic survival to planning for the future and jumpstarting the visitor economy." The report highlights that in 2021, Explore Edmonton had a direct economic impact of nearly $100 million and was involved in booking over 31,000 hotel rooms and supporting over 50,000 jobs.
  • An analysis of the city's 2021 property tax assessments found that 91.7% of Edmonton property owners live in the city, and more than 97% of tax notices were sent to destinations in Alberta. Just 0.14% of the total 416,563 notices were sent to addresses outside of Canada.
  • Construction on a new $41.1 million footbridge over the North Saskatchewan River connecting northeast Edmonton and Strathcona County is expected to begin as early as this summer now that funding agreements between the City of Edmonton, Strathcona County, and the River Valley Alliance have been finalized.
  • A federal court judge has found that the Edmonton Regional Airport Authority and the St. John's International Airport Authority have infringed on a complainant's official language rights and ordered them to pay almost $20,000 between them. The complainant, Ottawa resident Michel Thibodeau, filed his complaints without ever visiting the airports. "We do not believe individuals should benefit financially from a complaint system", said Edmonton International Airport spokesperson Darrell Winwood in a statement.
  • Garth Brooks is coming to Edmonton for the first time in five years to play at Commonwealth Stadium on June 25. It's the only Canadian stop on his upcoming Stadium Tour, and the country star says it will be his last major concert appearance in Canada. The last time Brooks was in town in 2017, he sold out Rogers Place nine times in a row. Tickets go on sale May 6.
  • A load the size of a CFL football field will be disrupting highways between the Scotford refinery near Fort Saskatchewan and its destination of Edson for five days starting April 27.
  • New data from Statistics Canada has revealed more information about gender diversity in Alberta. Among census participants (aged 15+), 99.63% identified as cisgender. Of the remaining 0.37%, 7,305 identified as transgender and 5,170 as non-binary, including gender-fluid, queer, or Two-Spirit. Alberta accounts for more than 12% of Canada's transgender and non-binary populations, though some believe the figures are undercounted.