
Hydrogen fuelling station closed less than one year after opening to government fanfare
Alberta’s first commercial hydrogen fuelling station has been shipped back to the United States, its American owner has filed for bankruptcy, and the company’s once convicted former CEO has been pardoned by U.S. President Donald Trump.
When it opened in March 2024, the station was described as a “huge milestone” by the provincial government. But Clarence Shields, the owner of Blackjacks Roadhouse, told Taproot the Nikola fuelling station was removed from his Nisku property on Feb. 23.
The station was installed last year in a private deal between Blackjacks and Nikola, in concert with a $4.4-million investment from Prairies Economic Development Canada meant to enable the Alberta Motor Transportation Association and the University of Alberta to work to validate and build access to fuel for hydrogen-fuelled vehicles.
The $4.4 million in funding came alongside contributions from Alberta Innovates, Emissions Reduction Alberta, and industry, PrairiesCan said.
Neither PrairiesCan nor the AMTA gave money to Nikola, both parties confirmed to Taproot. Instead, Nikola built the station as an in-kind investment, with fuel coming from Suncor. The AMTA said Blackjacks nonetheless spent time and money to clear land for the station, while AMTA staff spent working hours on the project.
Government endorsement
In March 2024, Alberta officials said the Nikola station was significant. “The launch of Alberta’s first commercial hydrogen fuelling station is a huge milestone in advancing Alberta as a global energy supplier,” Brian Jean, the minister of energy and minerals, said in a press release on Nikola’s page. “Hydrogen is the next step in our commitment to reducing emissions, and projects like this demonstrate that we have the resources, expertise, and interest in our province to drive innovation and become leading suppliers of responsibly produced clean hydrogen.”
Both Jean and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith attended the opening ceremony for the fueller.
Taproot requested comment from Smith and Jean, but received an email statement from Kevin Lee, the press secretary for the ministry of municipal affairs, in response. “Alberta’s government worked closely with the proponent to try to get this project to completion,” Lee said in the statement. “Unfortunately, as the proponent was not able to provide the required documentation to verify that the equipment was built to Alberta’s safety standards, this project was unable to move forward.”
Nikola filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Feb. 19, and on March 24 announced plans to deregister with the Securities and Exchange Commission and therefore delist from the Nasdaq exchange. An investor FAQ page on Nikola’s website said the Chapter 11 filing will allow it to “wind down” the business “while conducting a structured process to solicit interest in the sale of all, substantially all, or a portion of its operations.”
The company, which is based in Phoenix, did not respond to Taproot’s repeated requests for comment.